Book Review and Recipe
Back to Cookbooks
Book or Magazine Title: Rice & Risotto
Author (s): Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen
Publisher: Thunder Bay Press
Date published: 2000
Price: $29.95 (I searched and don't find it available new any longer in hardcover.)
Available also used for $4.99 on Amazon
A Complete Step-by-Step Collection of Mouth watering Rice & Risotto Dishes. This wonderful cookbook features a fascinating range of 120 imaginative rice and risotto recipes.
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Soups & Salads
Chapter 3: Main Dishes & Accompaniments
Chapter 4: Risottos
Chapter 5: Famous Rice Dishes
Chapter 6: Puddings, Cakes & Pastries
All of the recipes are easy to follow, with clear step-by-step instructions. They use wonderfully fresh ingredients and are flavorsome and visually appealing. Delicious traditional Italian risottos are features and mixed with contemporary and exotic rice dishes, making this book definitely one worth having on your shelf, beautifully designed and produced Rice & risottos provides a wealth of ideas and recipes for a collection of delicious and delectable meals.
I would highly recommend this book.
Here is the recipe I tried.
Wild Rice & Bacon Salad with Scallops
1 cup wild rice
2 1/2 cups water of more if necessary
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 slices smoked bacon diced or sliced
3-4 shallots, finely chopped
1/3 cup walnut oil
2-3 tbsp sherry or cider vinegar
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
8-12 large scallops cut lengthwise in half
Salt and pepper
Lemon and lime slices, to serve
1. Put the wild rice in a saucepan with the water and bring to a boil, stirring once or twice. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for 30-50 minutes, depending on whether you prefer a chewy or tender texture. Using a fork, fluff the rice into a large bowl; allow to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, toast the nuts in a skillet for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to color, stirring frequently. Cook and chop coarsely; set aside.
3. Heat a tablespoon of the vegetable oil in the pan. Stir in the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Remove some of the oil from the pan and stir in the shallots. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring from time to time, until soft.
4. Stir the toasted nuts, bacon and shallots into the rice. Add the walnut oil, vinegar, half the chopped dill and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to combine the ingredients, and then set aside.
5. Brush a large non-stick skillet with the remaining oil. Heat until very hot, add the scallops and cook for 1 minute on each side until golden; do not overcook.
6. Divide the wild rice salad among 4 individual plates. Top with the scallops and sprinkle with the remaining dill. Garnish with a sprig of dill, if desired and serve immediately with the lemon and lime slices.